Juvederm Ultra 2 is a dermal homogeneous bio-gel produced by the pharmaceutical company Allergan. This is the softest and most plastic gel from the entire Juvederm Ultra filler series.
The main active ingredient of this filler is hyaluronic acid. This substance of non-animal origin is a natural polysaccharide and is an integral component of biological structures and fluids in the human body.
In aesthetic practice, hyaluronic acid performs the function of filling the superficial and deep layers of the skin, as well as the mucous membrane of the lips.
Penetrating into the skin tissue, the gel begins accumulating the water molecules, which come together and become denser. The dense structure of water at the site of the gel administration affects the skin from the inside, thereby smoothing wrinkles and creating a single main surface.
Due to its plasticity, Juvederm Ultra 2 is not able to increase the volume of the lips and correct deep wrinkles. It only smooths out the surface layer of the skin and fights fine lines. Due to its soft structure, the gel is evenly distributed under the skin and acts only where the defect needs to be corrected.
If you inject an excessively large dose of Juvederm Ultra 2, you can achieve an increase in the volume of a specific area on the face (for example, lips or cheekbones). However, the effect will be short-lived because of the light texture of this gel. At that, the overdose is more likely to cause undesirable symptoms.
Juvederm Ultra 2 is a pyrogen-free gel. That is, it is not only of a natural origin, but also does not contain toxic substances, which cause side effects.
- Superficial wrinkles.
- Mimic wrinkles.
- Drooping of the skin in the corners of the mouth, under the eyelids, around the nose.
- Vertical forehead wrinkles.
- Severely dry skin.
It is important to keep in mind that Juvederm Ultra 2 is the lightest filler from the entire Juvederm dermal filler series. Therefore, it is ineffective in the correction of deep wrinkles and asymmetry of the facial contours.
- Due to its soft texture, this particular dermal filler from the Juvederm series is notable for its good tolerance, and almost does not cause puffiness in the injection sites.
- Bio-gel Juvederm Ultra 2 is produced using the special Hylacross technology, which allows creating the 3D Matrix effect – a three-dimensional structure of hyaluronic acid, which connects better in the skin layers and provides a more flexible effect. It is not pronounced, but allows coping with the main task.
- The effect lasts 6 to 12 months, depending on the dosage injected, the scope of administration and the regenerative properties of the skin of each particular person. Therefore, if you need an answer to the question “how long the effect of Juvederm Ultra 2 lasts?”, check with your aesthetic practitioner, who performs the treatment.
- Juvederm Ultra 2 fillers are available in 0.55 ml syringes.
- Each package contains 2 syringes and sterile injection needles with a diameter of 30G 1/2
- The hyaluronic acid concentration of Juvederm Ultra 2 is 24 mg per 1 ml of gel.
In addition to hyaluronic acid, Juvederm Ultra 2 contains two more substances:
- Lidocaine at a dosage of 3 mg to reduce pain during injection
- PH 7.2 phosphate buffer at a dosage of 1 mg to reduce puffiness after injection.
These substances help reduce discomfort during the procedure and speed recovery after the injections. They do not enhance the effect of hyaluronic acid and do not affect the final result.
The use of Juvederm Ultra 2 at home without involving a professional dermatologist is not allowed. Use of this filler is a very delicate treatment, which requires knowing certain peculiarities, and you can only worsen your situation, if you are not aware of these.
- Juvederm Ultra 2 is intended for injectable use only in the upper and middle layers of the skin.
- Before the injection, it is important to clearly mark the area of the dermal filler introduction, and to disinfect this area.
Before the gel injection, your dermatologist should assess the severity of defects and the desired dosage of Juvederm Ultra 2. These influence the final result of the treatment.
How to make an injection of Juvederm Ultra 2:
- Carefully remove the cap from the syringe
- Attach the included needle to the syringe and fasten tightly by turning it clockwise until the needle is completely locked
- Slowly inject the drug in the zones pre-marked during the pre-treatment examination.
To make the procedure easy and avoid complications, you need to follow the rules for using Juvederm Ultra 2:
- When the product is being injected, the angle of the needle to the surface depends on the region. The deeper you need to introduce the filler, the more the angle should be close to 90 degrees.
- If severe pain or blood appears, additional anesthesia may be administered.
- It is recommended to remain in the chair in the same position for 20-30 minutes after the end of the treatment.
If no unpleasant symptoms occur within 30 minutes, the patient can go home.
- The procedure can be carried out no earlier than 14 days after the end of antibiotics and anticoagulants, which can cause severe bleeding.
- 2 weeks before the injection, aggressive cosmetic procedures should be abandoned, including chemical peels, face polishing, use of scrubs, clay masks, and so on.
- Alcohol and drinks caffeine-containing drinks should be avoided during the day, preceding the procedure.
- Aggressive treatment in the area of the filler administration are also not recommended for 2 weeks after the procedure.
- Within 7 days after the use of Juvederm Ultra 2, heavy physical exertion is not advised, while using sauna is absolutely contraindicated.
- The dermal filler should not be introduced in the eyelid or the area near the eye.
In which cases Juvederm Ultra 2 may be contraindicated:
- In inflammatory processes on the skin, fever or ARVI
- In case of infectious or fungal diseases of the skin, in the area the drug application
- With open wounds or burns in the area of Juvederm Ultra 2 introduction
- If the patient is under the majority age.
To date, scientists have not investigated the pharmacological safety of Juvederm Ultra 2 in pregnant women. Therefore, based on the recommendations of doctors and specialists in the field of aesthetic treatments, it is not recommended to use this filler during pregnancy. This will reduce any possible risks for the fetus.
Despite the fact that the risks are minimal, it should be understood that any procedure involving the injection may be accompanied by side effects.
Most patients report mild pain when Juvederm Ultra 2 is being administered, tingling in the gel application area and swelling.
Swelling can last up to 2 days, depending on the amount of hyaluronic acid that has been injected into the skin layers.
Where adverse reactions bother you or persist for 5 days or more, you should inform the specialist, who performed the procedure. The light structure of Juvederm Ultra 2, though, cannot cause compaction under the skin, severe bruising or other symptoms, which are possible in the use of other fillers with higher density.
However, you should understand that everything depends on the qualifications and experience of the specialist who performs the procedure.
The price of Juvederm Ultra 2 depends on the supplier and the region of your residence.
Still, when choosing a Juvederm Ultra 2 supplier, you need to make sure that it has an original and high-quality product, meeting the safety requirements. There is no need to buy Juvederm Ultra 2 at a suspiciously low price, or from second-hand dealers. It may be dangerous for your health, beauty and wallet.
When choosing Juvederm Ultra 2, third-party expert assessment will not hurt. All information resources, including the official manufacturer’s website, claim that the light and plastic Juvederm Ultra 2 can maintain its effect for up to 12 months.
Most experienced cosmetologists, though, refute this data and say that there are several conditions, which determine the duration of the effects.
The actual duration of Juvederm Ultra 2 is 4 to 6 months. It is possible to achieve an increase in the action duration, yet only if:
- the filler is used at the first appearance of wrinkles, when they are not very deep,
- natural regeneration processes take place in the normal mode,
- dosage was selected as correctly as possible for a particular skin type.
The effect of Juvederm Ultra 2 is amazing, which has been proven by the experience of millions of women around the world. Still, it lasts less than indicated in official sources. You should understand this perfectly before the procedure. After all, if the drug loses its effect faster than you expect, you may have frustration with the product.
Still, it is clear that such a light and flexible gel cannot possess the same duration period, as more dense gels do. It loses its shape too quickly and is absorbed by the regenerative processes in the skin layers.